Frequently Asked Questions

When is the vet clinic open?

We are open Monday to Friday, 8am to 7:30pm and Saturday, 8:30am to 1:30pm.

What do I do if I need to see a vet when you are closed?

Please contact the Centre for Animal Referral and Emergency on 9417 6417. They are located at 5 Hood St, Collingwood VIC 3066.

How do I make an appointment?

To make an appointment, please call the vet clinic on 9842 5330.

What kind of services are available at Doncaster Vet Hospital?

Doncaster Vet Hospital offers a range of pet care services including vaccinations, desexing, MMP surgery, x-rays, lump removal and many more. To see a full range of our Melbourne veterinary services, visit our menu.

I just brought home a new puppy/kitten, what do I do?

To ensure your puppy or kitten is healthy, we recommend booking an appointment to see a vet as soon as you can. This will usually coincide with their second puppy or kitten vaccination. The vet will be able to discuss caring for your new family member.

How old should my dog be before getting desexed?

We recommend getting your dog desexed at around 6 months, however there are some exceptions. To learn more about desexing, click here.

Why do I need to desex my dog?

It is very important to have your dog desexed as desexing prevents unwanted pregnancies as well as a multitude of other diseases. Learn more about why desexing dogs in important here.

How do I know if my cat is on heat?

If your female cat displays symptoms such as excessive noise, trying to escape, acting strangely and marking her territory she is on heat and should be kept away from male cats to avoid pregnancy. To learn more about the benefits of desexing your female cat, click here.

How often should I vaccinate my dog/cat?

After the first three vaccinations (6-8 weeks, 10-12 weeks, 14-16 weeks), they should be vaccinated yearly to prevent diseases. To read more about vaccinating your dog or cat, click here.

Why is my dog/cat scratching themselves alot?

There are a number of reasons why your pet might be itchy. These include fleas, allergies, food intolerances, skin conditions and grass seeds. If you suspect your pet is scratching more than normal, please contact us.

My dog is limping. What should I do?

Limping often signifies pain so if you see your dog limping, please contact us. Limping can be caused by a torn cruciate ligament, sprains, hip dysplasia, torn toenails, grass seeds and more.

What should I do if I think my dog has eaten chocolate?

Ingesting chocolate can cause significant illness and can even be fatal. It is important to call the vet as soon as you think your dog has eaten chocolate. The type of chocolate (milk, dark and white) as well as the amount of chocolate and weight of the dog is very important to tell the vet/vet nurse.

If you have any questions or concerns about your pet’s heath and wellbeing, or a general question about our Melbourne vet clinic, please don’t hesitate to call us on 9842 5330.

If you have a pet emergency out of our opening hours, please call the Centre for Animal Referral and Emergency on 9417 6417.